Friday, January 27, 2017

Book Review: Before I Fall

There are some books that you will remember forever. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver is one of them. The book follows High School senior Samantha Kingston as she relives the last day of her life six times. 

The setting is very realistic. Samantha, or Sam, attends Thomas Jefferson High School in Connecticut with her three best friends Lindsay, Elody, and Ally. The school has bathroom graffiti, crowded lunchrooms, and busy hallways like any other school. This makes it much more believable and relatable. It's like you can see yourself within the walls of the book. 

The characters themselves are unforgettable. I loved how Sam's friends all have their faults and by the end of the book, she realizes it, but she doesn't stop loving and supporting them. I found this aspect to be very influential. Her friends are all popular and not afraid to criticize other people. The fact Sam continues to be friends with them despite their personalities is very inspiring. It really shows that you know when you've found your true friends. 

My favorite thing about the book was the ending. The story itself took a long time to unravel. It makes sense saying that you're watching the same day over and over again. Nevertheless, Ms. Oliver has you on your toes wondering what will happen next. The ending was beautiful. I can't say I'm a big fan when everything works out perfectly for the main character, but it all felt well-deserved after tumbling through the mess of days Sam went through previously. To be honest, I almost cried at the ending because it was so beautiful. 

Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall is an unforgettable book with a realistic setting, developed characters, and a wonderful ending. I recommend it to anyone who loves well-written books.

Darcy, Teen Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment