Friday, June 6, 2014

TFIOS Movie Review!!!

The answer is, yes! It was awesome!  Let's be clear about one thing: it was not as amazing at the book.  We all knew it wouldn't be, so there should be no complaining.  Sorry if you didn't realize that before seeing the movie and found yourself disappointed, but that's just the way the world works.  Books made into movies wont be as good.  They are separate mediums with different strengths and weaknesses.  

Now that we have that out of the way, the actors really nailed the characters.  I was laughing one minute and crying the next.  John Green was right when he told us to trust the casting: I can't imagine anyone else playing these characters after seeing Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort's chemistry.  Even the casting for the parents was superb.

One great strength of the movie was the way it connected on an emotional level: it was, somehow, sadder than the book.  Don't ask me how this is possible, but my movie companion had the same reaction.  I was trying not to ball my eyes out for the last 30-40 minutes of the movie.

The biggest compliment I can give to TFIOS movie is it made me want to read the book again, even though I've already read it twice.  I think fans of the book will have a similar experience.  Those who have not read the book will be rushing to bookstores to experience the heartache all over again.

If you are going to see the movie, I have some advice.  Bring tissues and see it with someone you don't mind crying in front of. You will cry, even if you didn’t cry while reading the book. It is a fact that tears will drip down your face as you clench your jaw trying not to make a scene! Just let it happen.  I also recommend seeing it with a best friend or loved one, because you are going to want to hug or kiss someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment