Friday, December 9, 2011

Beware of the Delicious Cookie Dough

I'm not a huge baker (or cook for that matter), but every year around the holidays I hunt down the Mickey Mouse Cookbook from my childhood and with a bit of tweaking, bake the best sugar cookies I've ever eaten! I am extremely biased, but that is beside the point. While making these cookies I always cave into my craving and find myself eating a bunch of the cookie dough. Don’t look at me like that; you know you do the same! Even if your parents have warned you about the dangers of eating raw eggs, somehow the fact that you are forbidden to do so makes it taste better.

I know you are probably thinking that I need to get to my point, so I will do so right now! I just came across an article revealing that according to CDC researchers eating raw cookie dough is dangerous to eat not just because of the eggs, but because other ingredients may also carry dangerous bacteria. The ingredient they are concerned about may surprise you! So even if, like me, you are trying to be slick and avoid the danger of eating raw eggs in cookie dough by substituting eggs for milk and extra butter, there are other ingredients that can be just as dangerous to eat without cooking. The article is super short, so don’t worry that I am sending you to read pages of boring sciency info about the dangers of uncooked food. If it was wordy, I would not have read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment