Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sorry, steampunk. You made the mainstream.

Steampunkers, the inevitable has happened. The fabulous sub genre (think the new version of Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downy Jr.) of sci-fi, the weird baby brother, is now mainstream. Woe unto us.

On this past Monday's Castle:



I admit it, I watched the episode and geeked out a bit, and went rummaging for some brass pistons and some spare cogs and wheels.... Which made me think about some excellent YA and adult steampunk to feed the beast or get to you started: Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld - Mortal Engines, by Philip Reeve - Boneshaker, by Cheri Priest - Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology, edited by Nick Gevers.

2 comments:

  1. Steampunk is awesome. I'd just be sad if that episode made fun of steampunk fans. And for some reason, Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series (The Golden Compass...) always had a steampunk feel to me. And if you like Victorian-age fantasy (which some people consider to be a sub-genre of Steampunk, although I do not), I guess that "Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare, author of "The Mortal Instruments" series, wrote it in Victorian London - but still about Shadowhunters. Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I comment on your comment! Yes, steampunk is, like, on the verge of becoming its own thing (instead of the red-haired baby brother of sci-fi). I love it. If you decide to get into it, just search for it on Etsy. Also, I'm gonna need more genre stickers. Just as soon as someone makes them.

    ReplyDelete