Zines are independently made “magazines” about whatever you want! Zines are a way to express yourself and to read about topics that aren’t addressed in 'officially' published books. YOUR voice matters and zines are an excellent opportunity to express yourself and share your experiences with the world! In short, zines can be about whatever you want!
According to Dawn Stahura, resident Zine Librarian at Simmons College, a zine is...
- Self-published and the publisher (you) doesn't answer to anyone
- Small, self-distributed print run
- Motivated by desire to express oneself rather than to make money
- Outside the mainstream media
- Low-budget - no special equipment necessary!
- Support DIY culture/ethos - you write the stories that need to be heard
Want to learn even more about zines and zine libraries? Check out Dawn's guide HERE.
Sound interesting?! Join us for an afternoon of Zines zine enthusiast and librarian, Des Alaniz to physically construct and build narratives for your zine! In addition to zine supplies and paper, we'll also have also have zine related and adjacent books!
Teen Zine Workshop
Tuesday, March 27th
3:30 pm to 5:30 pm
Robbins Library Teen Area
We look forward to seeing you!